About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Oh Man Does it ever end?

I was in great humour today till I got home. BTW I'm finished my Christmas shopping. YEAH!
One of Miranda's friends has a birthday between Christmas and New Years. ANd he is a super nice kid. Two of the girls( one I know and don't really like and the other I don't know at all) of this group of friends that Miranda is in is planning a surprise birthday party for him. A coed sleepover.

Now it's not like Miranda has not been to these before. BUT at parents houses that we know the parents very well and are friends. BUT this girl we do not know the parents and all the guys in Miranda's group is going to be there. Yes the boyfriend too. Whioh doesn't really matter but still is will not win the case for her. And I wonder why do it at all?

Do you let her go? The parents say not drugs or alcohol or sleeping in the same room is allowed. BUT how do we know this for sure? Tucker is sleeping over here on News Years Eve but we have control here.

I trust her and would let her go, but yet again my Hubby will not. Miranda knows this. I've told her she can go to the party but she really wants to do the whole thing. I know it's not going to happen. Jack is not like that. Jack is over proctective. Jack is old fashion and will say I never did that when I was her age..Well so WHAT?Am I too easy going? She at least told me about this and did not lie about it. That's what I would have done at her age. She's way better than me. PLUS there would be booze and drugs at any parties I was at...way back when. BUT Miranda's friends are very anit- drugs and anit-drinking. (THANK GOD)

I just hate to bring it up with Jack.

SQOB
What would you do with you 15 yr old boy or girl...let them go or not?

9 comments:

Marla said...

9:41 and nobody's answered yet?

Oh Sharon - this is HARD. I'm very modern, yet very retro too - and I think co-ed sleepovers are weird and unnecessary. It's not about drugs and drinking and sex or opportunities or temptation. I think it's about mystery and decorum and privilege and maturity. I sure wasn't a "nice" girl - but looking back, I now wish I'd spent my teenage years focused on the things that make a difference in one's life a decade and a half later - and not one bit of good came from any sleepover I ever went to. There is nothing that happened between say, two and seven am that was good for me, unless it involved music, a good book or a classic movie. I'm glad for every band I got to see, and for every midnight movie and for the fun times I did have at parties. But one of my favourite mottoes had to come from somewhere: Leave the party while you're still having fun - and that can't happen with a sleepover!

BeachMama said...

Good one Marla!

It is a tough call. You are right that she told you the truth, thinking that you guys would understand. But! Yep there is a but. I know that I would have found a way to have a lot of fun at a coed sleepover. Now looking back (like Marla says) I wish I had made a few different choices about parties. And yes, I did lie about those coed sleepovers so many years ago. Ack! Good luck with that one :)

Anna - a little thankful at this point that "A" is not so intrested in girls... yet....

Sunny said...

Nope- wouldn't let a 15 year old do the co-ed sleepovers.

twinmomplusone said...

15 year olds and coed sleepovers, not a good mixture. Why can't they have a party and tons of fun without the sleepover part?
I went to some coed sleepovers while in university and some got pretty nasty and weird. Love marla's comment "leave the party while its still fun"

good luck with this one

DaniGirl said...

My mother would have never allowed me to go to a co-ed sleepover at 15. Heck, she wouldn't let my 'best' friend sleep over at 8 because he was a guy and it just wasn't done. And my parents were pretty hip, too.

I wouldn't do it. But wait for the double standard - I'd have a lot less problem letting my sons go than any hypothetical daughter.

I too love Marla's motto!

nancy said...

Ick. I think not. I am not in your shoes, but I would be the first parent to volunteer to drive all the kids home, even at midnite or 1 AM instead of having a co-ed sleepover at 15 years old. Maybe all the boys could go home and the girls can stay? I just think it sounds a little weird to me.

Silver Creek Mom said...

THANK YOU ALL!

I thought I was being out of touch and Jack the same but I see that I'm RIGHT not to allow her to go. NOW I will talk to Jack about this and Nathan. HE will not being doing this either at 15. I strive for NO double standard in this house. I might let her IF I can sleep with the girls....That would be a hoot and the end of the party!

Thanks again I love that your all so open.

BIG SMILE!

Silver Creek Mom said...

THANK YOU ALL!

I thought I was being out of touch and Jack the same but I see that I'm RIGHT not to allow her to go. NOW I will talk to Jack about this and Nathan. HE will not being doing this either at 15. I strive for NO double standard in this house. I might let her IF I can sleep with the girls....That would be a hoot and the end of the party!

Thanks again I love that your all so open.

BIG SMILE!

Running2Ks said...

At the risk of sounding like my mother, No.

If it was a school or church lock in, with activities all night, sure. But in a home, no.

Because I know what I did when I was that age.