About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Sew Sew Sew

I have been wondering all day while I was workingon one of Miranda's costumes for Beauty and the Beast what I could blog about.

Well Hun.... This is it.

I have been sewing for 2 1/2 weeks now and I'm almost done. I just have to do a fitting on Mir's French Maid outfit and get the ok of the Drama teacher and I'm finished.



I did this in between the usual laundry and house cleaning and running around I do, plus taxes. Loud collective GROAN! The Skirt itself has excatly 3 meters of eyelet on it. I was going to buy 4 meters and thought "nah only need about 2 1/2" BOY was I wrong. I just made it all the way around. I tried hard to make sure Miranda's costumes where not too... what's the word I'm looking for... Slutty. I said this to a mom when I was picking up Miranda on Saturday " just what every Mother wants to do, make her 15 yr old daughter a Slutty French maid outfit." She just about died laughing and we got kicked out of reheresal for laughing too loud. Bad Sharon.

First I made her her Long dress for the Feather duster. Sorry now Picutres of that. It's aready at the school. But I do have a picture of her Duster part. I have to sew all this onto a belt so she could wear it around her hips.



NOT easy. This a bunch of white garbage bags tied to a string. The stuff weighs a ton. I don't know how she is going to wear all this for 2 hours.

It's been a blast to sew again. I taught myself years ago, I never took a course and some of my sewing could use a good course but if the pattern is not too difficult I can make most things. I have a serger too and really haven't learned how to use it properly yet. That I should take a course in. I used to make alot of Miranda's clothes when she was small and then she sort of fell out of it, and wanted what the other kids have. Although a few of the coats I have made her she wants to keep for her kids. I thought that was nice, so they are away. I haven't made much for Nathan although I have some PJ"S patterns and lots of Fabric and he is need of them so maybe I can do that, next. I owuld be happy if I could leave my machine set up so I can sew when I have a few minutes. Right now it's on one end of the dining room table.

I will be glad to get the OK they are done from the director. I have spent alot of time and money on them and dress reheresal is next week, and then the big event. Can't wait . Love watching plays and it's great that I have had a small part in making this production come to life!

SQOB

What's your secert talent?

7 comments:

Hope said...

I am just learning to quilt. I have a friend who is VERY talented, has published patterns etc.

BeachMama said...

Awesome! I love the feather duster :). I could always show you how to use your serger one day, it is fairly easy and gives things a finished look.

We share the same talent!!

Silver Creek Mom said...

I would love for you to show me how to use the blasted thing. It scares me. I said this at Fabricland and the lady laughed. BUT it does. LOL!

twinmomplusone said...

Wow, Sharon, I'm impressed! Even though my mom is a seamstress and has had every imaginable type of sewing machine in the house, I never had any interest in it. Of course, now I regret it and wished I succombed to her incessant demands that I learn some of her trade. I mean, I can sew a button and fix a hem if need to but that's all.

Hidden talent? nope, none really, I just dapple in a whole lot of stuff without really being good at anything

Mark (Lord of the Idiots) said...

Hidden Talent? I can alienate and offend in mere seconds...... is that a talent?

Silver Creek Mom said...

Sure Mark. Very few can do this without actaully meeting them in person. You and Tom Cruise. ;) (BUT Scerectly I like you better)

tomama said...

Very cute costume. I'm impressed with anyone who can sew.