About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Confidence

Man Do I need a dose of that.

I've been listening to myself lately. I sound like I'm apologisings for everything at times. Plus when I'm doing a presentation or makeing a follow up call, I literaly break into a sweat and a studder and can barely communicate with the other person. I'm know I'm shy at times especially when I'm trying to sell myself or exude confidence. Can't do it. I sound like a freakin moron. I know I'm not. I'm not going to sell to my potiental if I can't talk to people. I'm not bad if I know the person or at least the hostess but I know no one I a total klutz trip over my tongue and sound awful. You should see my manger work a room. She is awesome and self confidence just radiates out of her. BUT she is shy like me. I guess I have to have a chat with her. To see how she came to be so awesome at selling. And she is not pushy.

I admire a number of my girlfriends and my sister who just seem to have the confidence. I think that's why I want to work to feel the way they seem to feel. To feel like I can do something. Yes I'm not bad at being a mom but there are times I wish the hell I was better.

So what do you do to feel confident in yourself? Besides acting. Just to make yourself feel good is it the knowledge of just knowingyou can do it? is IT being able to talk with others and get them interested inwhat your talking about? I wish I knew the formula.

2 comments:

twinmomplusone said...

those are tough questions SCM

I too was/am shy and struggled for years having to talk with the public in my field, I would rehearse speeches ahead of time, write them out, be prepared with answers to commonly asked questions

but it boils down perhaps in really believing in what you are "selling" in an honest way

good luck

BeachMama said...

Not sure if I told you this story before, but shy as I am... and yes I am shy. I thought I was going to throw up when I first started waitressing. I remember holding the tray full of drinks and not wanting to go to the table. I stopped and told myself there was nothing I couldn't do, so became the best waitress I could be. I pretended like I knew everything about it (even though I knew nothing) and sometimes I pretended I was somebody else. I also got through it by talking a lot, which I do anyway :)

You are good at what you do and you should just remember you are the best there is, don't compare yourself to anyone else because they are not you, you just have to remind yourself that you are great at what you do and prepare yourself for those follow up calls by writing down what you want to say, it will come accross more smoothly and you won't stumble so much.

Sorry for the novel, but I think you have much more potential and confidence that you give yourself credit for and I thought I should just tell you :)

As I yell at A & J... "YOU CAN DO IT!"