About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Magic Hour

It looks like I'm not the only one.

By that I mean, one who lays for awhile and reads and snuggles with there children till they go to sleep. I read somewhere that this is called the "magic hour" where all things about the day come to the surface and bubble out. I don't know why I started this. I think it was to keep Miranda in bed because she kept coming looking for me. But then I realize I enjoyed that special time. I did this Miranda I did this till I thought I was doing something wrong. From every direction I was told by friends and neighbours I was in the wrong. People were telling me this was not leading her to independance or leading her to dependency on me. Others said I was just strange and I was spoiling my kids. Others said they would NEVER lay down with their children. They weren't comfortable doing it.

But

Most parents read to there children at night. A great habit to get into. BUT most don't lay while there child drifts off to sleep. Why? There are things to do. Dishes to be done, laundry to fold or bills to pay. I know other cultures do it, but here in North America it's unheard of or just plain not talked about for fear of told they are "ruining"their children. BUT now I hear it is becoming more common. Or people are just admiting to this. And I'm glad. I'm glad because our children are young only once. They have the rest of their lives to sleep alone or with someone else. How else can you slow down a day long enough to hear what is happening without intruption. Some do it at meals, but usually this is a crazy time for us and Not much talking gets done.

I look forward to this. I didn't realize what an impact it made till 2 summers ago Miranda asked me to come to a Sleepover in her bed. I asked her why? She said missed the time that we used to spend when she was young just talking and laying in the dark. I couldn't believe she still remembered that and more so missed it! A 15 year old girl wanting her time alone with mommy. So it has become almost daily ritual with her. She will be moving out soon and livng alone or sleeping alone (hopefully) AND one I haven't tried too hard to stop with Nathan. He can fall asleep on his own and has many times. But there is nothing like that last cuddle to make one so young feel, well, safe. Safe in a world full of scarey things. Even when they are 17 they have stuff that confuses them, and scares them. What to do with a life that is just beginning. What to do when that special boy says he is not as in love with you as he was. At least she has one thing at the end of the day to ground her. Mommy will lay with me and help me get through all this. I may not lay as long with Nathan, but Jack lays there too. And he and his daddy will have those special moments that will help figure out what he can do with this life of his in this scarey world.

You don't have to think if you haven't done this that I'm critizing you. I don't judge people. I never have. You do what is right for your child. I know I am a raity in this world. Just please dont judge me. If letting them go to sleep on their own fine turns your crank...fine BUT Now is my time to lay the mom guilt down and say...I lay with my children to hear that last part of the day and the gentle breathing the signals a day is over. And I won't ruin my child in the process.

For once I feel I'm doing ok.
As. A. Mom.
I'll keep my Magic Hour
For now

2 comments:

BeachMama said...

I love that you do that. I have done it in the past and think there is nothing wrong with doing it. J just happens to fall asleep (99% of the time) within a few minutes of me closing the door. We all have our special time together. I still do most story times and I get the lunch time together and we have dinner time as a family too. We chat our way through meals, I love that.

Don't give up what you feel is right.

andrea from the fishbowl said...

Awwww... what a sweet post!

You're great. :)