About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Friday, September 28, 2007

She's Done!

Well her first two research essays.

I picked her up at 1 and she worked from 2 p.m. till midnight last night to finish the two papers. I think they are pretty good. I had to proof read. She is pretty tired today.

But Wow how things have changed.

She had to write a Thesis and prove her points. It's BEEN YEARS since I have done anything like this. It took me awhile to even remember how to write a paper like that. To be able to point her in the right direction. And then last night she comes to me and asks how you put in Electronic or websites in her bibliography?

What?

When I went to school we didn't have WEBSITES or PERSONAL COMPUTERS,we typed our essays. ON A TYPEWRITER. Make a mistake try and fix it or type the whole page again! And if it was electric you were lucky! I was lucky I had an electric. It was noisy but did the job. Remember that? Then came typewriters with correction tape on it...OMG I thought I had died and gone to have one with that. All our info was in BOOKS! Imagine. Not other sources and what you could scrounge up at the library not shared between libraries right across CANADA! Holy Shit school is filled with info these days.

Ok I know some of you are laughing at me. Like I'm so old fossil but computers were the size of rooms and not for PERSONAL USE. Honestly it struck me last night how much things have changed since I was last in school. They have BOOKS to tell you have to write a bibliography with Electronic information. You should see the handbook she has with the way to write a paper on it. Must be close to 500 pages. Mine was type written by a teacher and photo copied,not a published book. And it wasn't that long ago 25 years ago I was in CEGEP. OK it was a while but THINK, what is your 5 year old's life in college or university be like in 13 or so years? It will be changed yet again from this point from what Miranda is learning now at this point. I'm going to have to take courses just to keep up! And so should you.

Next paper...Ancient World...due Thursday.

2 comments:

twinmomplusone said...

glad to hear she finished her first essays :)

I hear you on the new technology: I had a Smith Corona typewriter with a malfunctioning "a" on which I typed my 100+ thesis, a mistake would send me retyping the whole page, adding a paragraph would have me retype a few pages, sigh, no spell-check, no online research (only encyclopedias)AND NO MOM HELPING EITHER!! How lucky our kids are, so much help available for them. PowerPoint presentations are the norm in my kids class in high school. I was up last night too with big sis finishing up her art project.

Shelley said...

Hey Silver Creek Mom -

Need to get in touch with you to ask you a q. Can you email me at shelley at shelleyhaggert dot com ?

Thanks a bunch.