About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What was isn't

Remember back to when you were a child? And when you were old enough to hang out with your friends you would roam around the neighbourhood and or the back roads where there was an old abandon building. And these buildings were always a magnet for preteens to use and abuse. Break the windows, go in had smoke/up in. Each one had a story or legend or two attached to them. Sort of like the story of the house in the movie Monster House. Either someone had died and still wandered around on a full moon.

I live here in Silver Creek we have or should say had one of those. It was a Cheese factory that was there since I can remember, sitting beside the creek that our area is named after. It's always been there. The people around here were farmers and hauled there milk there to be processed and made into cheese. The last person I heard of living, I only ever knew, as being only called Uncle Reg, in there had passed on long before I was born. But when I was a kid , so I was told, would sit in the upstairs window in a rocking chair and rock on a moonlit night. A teacher at the school I work at says Her father was born in that building. And Him I have never met.

I was never in it. I was never that brave. I know of many people who were. I have painted it many times when I was painting. It held a sort of fastination for me. What stories those walls could tell. How many parties where held in there? How much cheese was made there? Was there Laughter? But according to the people I hung out with his spirit still lived there.

Well I think his spirit has moved on. This past weekend the roof of the Silver Creek Cheese Factory has fallin in. No one has been in the building for years, yet people drive by it every day. And most, most likely, don't even see it anymore. But it's been a part of my life, my whole life. It's always been there. I'm sure it will be torn down after the melt. It's gonna seem strange not to have the Cheese Factory just down the road.

Things change.

Cheese Factory

Photobucket

I had to add this photo of Nathan at the stop sign. I took this on our way back from looking at the Damaged Factory. I guess when a six year old boy can reach the stop sign the snow banks have a way to go yet before they are melted. ;)

Photobucket

1 comment:

BeachMama said...

Oh Hubby would have loved to roam through that cheese factory. Great photos. And look at Nathan, so tall :)