About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Monday, June 16, 2008

The Mural is Done

At the beginning of this year I was asked through the school's daycare and after school club to help the kids design and paint a mural on one of the school staircase walls.
It was a dreadful wall at the senior end.
But not any more. Since January we have been working on a design.
And this is what we have come up with. I taught them how to paint different trees. To see things not as they are but as they would like them to be...and trust me that is a hard one for kids to learn. I tried to get them to think about what schools might look like in the future. Our school was 65 years old this year. So it was good to see how it used to look.

The kids are pleased. Some don't like it because it is not realistic... and we talked about really looking at the colour we see and what is really under the surface...is the sky really blue or a mix of colours, some just couldn't get it, I don't seen them as having an artistic eye. Maybe one day. BUT what we wanted was to create colour and think about the future. I think we did ok with that.

I enjoyed working with the kids like this. The ones that were really into it came and helped out regularly. They learned about mixing paint. They learned about how to use the brushes and it was good intro for me to get back into the swing of things and the feel of the paint. I really have missed that. I hope to get my studio set up and rolling again this summer. I need a place to work. I know how I want it set up. But poor Jack is so busy with his brothers house he has no time at all.

Here is our Final Product.
Photobucket

Kids Club Mural

Not bad if I do say so myself!

2 comments:

BeachMama said...

I love it! You did a fantastic job and I think it is great that you got the kids involved.

And yes, you should get your studio up and running, especially when you start getting so inspired by school this fall.

twinmomplusone said...

what an awesome project, both artistically and educationally speaking

way to go girl! you're on a roll!!