About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Little Bit About Me

Anna over at life is good... at the beach came up with my questions and she does know me quite well. I am honoured to have her as one of my closest and dearest friends. Great Questions Anna
So here we go

1. I know you and Jack married young, if your daughter came to you and told you she was ready to get married now, what would your advice be to her?

First after I got up off the floor from falling in a dead faint, I would tell her to wait. IF you both love each other you will still be together in a couple of years. See the world, work a bit, live on your own and finish school. Not in that order. It's hard to adjust to a new life and going to school at the same time. I know It was hard for me and it is one reason I didn't go on the univesrity and I do regert not living on my own for even a few months; even though it was the right choice for me and Jack. 26 1/2 years and counting. BUT if you think you are really ready, then I will support and help you in any way I can.
Photobucket



2. Your passion has always been art and photography. Do you feel that there will be a time when you are comfortable enough to put your art or photography out there again? And would you do commission work?

Well If I get the nerve to paint again for sure I will put it out there. I first have to do something like take a drawing course to get myself into it again. I loved to paint and I stopped only because I was stuck on where to go, and I should have taken a course and plus I was afraid to try a gallery. Fear or no self esteem has been a huge factor in my life. My life was was too crazy for me to continue. I guess I had Painters block and now I have restart fear.

Tuning

As for my photography, I love it and I love going out and shooting what ever I see. I do want my photographs to be seen, but I'm not sure I am up to gallery caliber yet but one day. I love doing people and nature so that is a possiblity. Wedding I will leave to others. Although I would do family shots and nudes plus I would love to art photography of some sort,not quite sure what that means. Concerts and Plays would be high on my list. I love to do that professionally! But it's a hard area to get into.
Photobucket


Commissions. Humm hard question. At one point years ago I would have said yes when it comes to painting. NOW I'm afraid I am not talented enough anymore to do anything like this. Maybe after working for a year or so...maybe then.
Boots
I love finding interesting things to shoot.

Photobucket
One of my favorite shots of my favorite young woman

Photobucket
And in Black and White

My Handsome Man
And my Favorite young man

3. Having recently returned to University, what advice would you give to someone who was thinking of going back after being absent for so many years.

DO IT! I don't care if you're 18, 25, 36, 45, (like me) or 78...just go. I was so scared the first couple of weeks and I felt soo out of place and almost quite 2 or 3 times but now that I am there and have made friends, mostly with the professors and a few students young and old alike. I feel like a belong. I may not be getting A's or B's but it is such a great eniviroment. I love giving my mind something to think about other that my kids problems or mine. I think it is healthy to do something different and this it for me. I never have the feeling that I don't want to do my homework or write an essay because I am getting better with each one. I feel better about myself and I can't say enough about it. Go slowly at first. I started 1st semsister with one class and I'm up to 2. Never do more than you can handle and stay sane. I may go up to 3 course in the fall. I'm still thinking about that but I am taking course this summer. Which reminds me I have to register this week.

Textbooks

4. Knowing that you enjoyed your trip to Newfoundland, if Jack came home today and offered you a trip anywhere you wanted to go, where would you go and why?

EUROPE! why? because I've always wanted to go to England. I'm a huge historical fiction buff and I wold love to travel through England through the landscape where all this took place. King Arthur and the Round table (yes I know it's fictions) the Tower of London and see Stonehendge and then off to France and travel to Paris and the Lourve! Italy who could not want to see the Parthanon, Germany, Where my hubby is from, Spain,Castles and Miranda was there and loved it. Switzerland, common has everyone seen Heidi? Take the whole year to do it. So many beautiful history filled places for me to see and devour and take pictures of! It would be a dream come true.

Photobucket
Photo by Miranda in Spain

5. You and Jack built your own home. If you had a choice would you do this again or would you have someone build it and you move right in? What would you differently in your home after having lived in it? And what advice would you give to someone who is thinking of building their own home?

Well both. Let me explain. I loved building the rough shell ourselves but Jack wanted to do it without taking a loan. Fine good enough. But now I see it would have been better to take a loan to finish the inside and then move in. I'm tried of living in unfinished house like my mom did and still is after 45 years this will not happen to me. This is a thorn in my side and it is festering. The promise was made that it would not go on forever and it would be finished within a good amount of time. It's been 20 years. We started to build before Miranda was born. She is turning 19 this year. I'm 45 now...time for it to be done. What would I do differently? That is a great question. I would put a mudroom on the kitchen side of the house. BIG too. Keep the boot and coat mess out of the kitchen. PLUS I would reverse my kitchen and move the kitchen part to the north end and put HUGE patio doors on the south out to the back deck with the dinning room at that end. And a walk in pantry...I would Kill for this now! I would definitely put in a workout room (well it was in the plans and I am still waiting) in the basement. Go ahead and do it but if you move in before it is done it will likely stay that way for a long time. I would make sure at least the flooring was in before I moved in. Ours was not. BIG mistake! take your time over plans, plus make sure you look at ooodles of books and magazines and go to a designer and get them to do the plans...DO NOT do them yourself you will miss something and wish you had it. Go and see model homes to get ideas. Closets Closets, Closets, you cannot have too many. I don't have enough.

Photobucket

Well there are my answers and know you know abit more of Who I am.

2 comments:

BeachMama said...

Great answers Sharon! And fantastic photos to accompany them. Thanks for sharing a little piece of you with us.

jo(e) said...

This was great! I learned lots I didn't know about you.

And what beautiful photos.