About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy First Day of Spring

Yes, with the first day of spring comes the end of the term and what is considered a full University year is almost over. Although I have not take the full 5 credits I need to finish first year at least I have started.

I will have completed one and a half credits. I have such a long way to go, but it has a been a interesting time. I have learned so much, literally and internally.
It has been a time of self discovery. I have learned I can do this even thought most of my marks are in the mid 70's I still can do this.

I learned that there are different types of Professors...the ones that let you struggle and the ones that are willing to help and help a lot. I am needy in this department. I need to know when I am doing something right or wrong. I have to say I didn't think I would love my FYSM as much as I have. It is an American lit course and the Professor, I can't sing his praises enough, he has helped me in ways he can't even imagine. Fate put me in this class and kept me there when I thought I would quit in the first couple of weeks. I found that I love literature in a way I never apperciated before. (poetry is still a struggle I'm more of a Drama person) I've always loved to read but this is different. Finding out what is behind the words, what was going on in the world at the time and why they have wrote the piece. I've learned that I can learn grammar and I am getting
S-L-O-W-L-Y better. My typos well that is coming don't worry world there will always be Sharonisms!

I learned I had to relearn learning and that I had to relearn how to concentrate and keep on task. I don't have this problem during a lecture, all of it is pretty interesting so 2 hours whip on by, but it to write papers is not an easy thing when the people I have been dealing with for the last 18 years don't stay on task for more than a few mintues at a time and I am constantly getting interrupted and sometimes the dishes just need to get done. I am getting better and this is why it takes me so bloody long to write a paper. I learned I love research, the thrill of the hunt finding out ways to prove my points. I love the work that went into my first art history paper, although I did not like what went on behind the scene. BUT I over came this with a struggle and remembered why I am here.

Marc thank you...I know you will most likely never read this, but you alone have made my transition and self discovery into the world of acadamia a smooth one. You are good for my ego. I will not forget what a help you have been and our great chats when we should have been chatting about my essay or what I am writing about next! LOL! I'm sure I will be taking another class with you at some point and we will be having more interesting chat about the texts and snowballing off into life somehow.

I learned that the young adults accept me for who I am, and tend to forget I am there. I hear stories that a woman of my age should not hear, but I am one of them even if I don't go out for a beer with any of them. So thank you people for taking me into you time of life and just being accepting...and Sharon...40 is not OLD! LOL!

I have learned that my family love and support me most of the time (there has been struggles here but we are working through them) but it has been a bit of a transition for them. Jack you have tried some to step up to the plate and help with the house work. Thanks keep it up. Miranda thanks for answering my endless questions about essays, you will be getting calls from Mom when I need help even after you move out this year! Nathan thanks for leaving me be and growing up abit so Mommy can do her work.

EDIT TO ADD

I have learned that I have great friends, you know who you are! Thanks for listening to my endless stories about class and certian people. Thanks you for the support you don't know how much that has meant to me. And thank you for your constant teasing about my sharonisms! I am kinda fond of the term now even used it with my proff once and he had a good chuckle!


In 2 more weeks my classes will have ended and I will be studying for finals. I'm so glad I only have 2!

And yes I am taking to classes over the summer and I am glad I am going. It will keep me learning and getting ready for the fall will I will attempt to take 3 classes! YIKES!

ice 2


I am breaking through the ice and learning that I can break down my interal walls and grow.

Ice

One crack at a time.

5 comments:

THETHINKINGSQUARE said...

What a great post!

Silver Creek Mom said...

Thanks! It's been University year in the making! ;)

kimby said...

I cannot believe that in a few weeks we will be done. I am glad to hear that you are going to take courses in the summer and that you are heading back in the fall.
Don't give up!
It is going to get hard. It will also get easier.
For myself, it hasn't sunk in that in two weeks i will have that piece of paper that has eluded me for 22 yrs. But it will finally be mine.
What will I do with it? I have no idea, but i do know that it is mine, I earned it, and it has taught me way more than I ever thought it could.

Way to go Sharon! We did it!

twinmomplusone said...

so proud of you Sharon!

DaniGirl said...

I'm so proud of you Sharon! You'll be donning your cap and gown in no time!