About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

learning curve

It's funny...
not funny ha ha but, just funny...
I have been thinking about my life and things I would never do, but I do other things that are just as immature as some of the 20 year olds I see.
As we grow older we think we have learned how to behave, how not to say things to hurt people.
My learning curve is changing, I am not taking anymore bull from people. I used to put up with a lot but now I do not, but it is no reason to be rude.

Let me tell you one of two stories. Not really related but will relate at the end...
I was sitting in class on day and we were watching a movie, and one couple were working on the paper that was due the next class, yes they were rude and they should have been quiet. The young woman behind me was quite vocal about shhhing them...annoying as it was she had a point. BUT in my older opinion she should have just walked up and quietly asked them to be quiet and it would have worked more effectively and gotten better results.

The next class, I was the one she was annoyed with. I was speaking to my classmate, about things related to the what the professor was talking about. I was whispering softly and I was sitting near the back. I should not have, but we were relating the Forest Fires in Quebec to what we were talking about in class. I should have written my friend a note, But this young woman pushed on the back of my chair ever time I whispered with her foot, at one point jolting me hard that my neck cracked. I just continued to ignore her, thinking that was quite childish. I was not whispering much, she seemed to think any was too much. After class I ran across this young woman in a common area of the University. I got a dirty look, I approached her and said, if you would like someone to be quiet please just ask them politely instead of knocking someones chair or shhhing which is just as annoying as the two talking or my whispering. She said I should know better, to which I agreed, but I said but to ask would have gotten more immediate results. Although this does not seem to apply to you and the young man seated behind you that you whisper to. She blushed and walked away.

So fast froward to the next class, I did not sit with my friend near her, I moved so I could watch and listen. She walks in late, and swagger down the isle, I kid you not.I had noticed she walked in late most classes but not really paying attention before this. My friend noticed and frowned at me. We just shook our heads. Now fast froward again, to the exam, this same young woman swaggers in about a minute before the exam is to begin, she leans suggestively across the desk, exposing her ample bosom, asking the professor where she should sit. I have to give the Professor credit, he never looked up at her, and told her to sit where the was a paper. She walks by my friend and I and has a suggestive look on her face and wiggles that bottom up the stairs. The Prof has not even looked up, but my friend and I both see this young woman trying to use herself is this manner and are shocked and appalled. I wish I could have talked to her telling her that this is not going to help her get through University. I so wanted to tell her that this is not what woman want to be doing in this world. Use your mind, not your body, if you are here, you have the abilities to succeed. My friend and I could not believe that young woman still do this in this modern era. I guess there will always be a few. Sad really.

Now lets move towards me. I have been not been as nice as I should be lately. Saying things out of character to me. I am not liking myself. I know I am changing and I have been stressed and tired, and trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. Today I realize I have a lot more changing to do, said something trying to be funny, and was wrong in saying it. the people involved have been apologized to. All I can do. One thing I do know, this journey I am on is interesting to say the least, but it is not a smooth road, but one of learning, and discovery. I hope not to leave to many causalities along the way.

I guess that young woman and I are not so different after all, just the learning curve are different. Different because of who we are and how we were brought up and our 26 year age difference. Although I am older, I am not necessarily wiser.

Photobucket

No comments: