About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Monday, February 21, 2011

I'm BACK!

“When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.” Ernest Hemingway
Photobucket


I am sure no one even comes here anymore but I will write anyways

I honestly was not going to stay away this long but with, this University thing, Parenting, housework, trying to be a wife, I didn’t have the time. I have been working on getting into that A range, in most classes, and I have mostly made it! Art History and Brit Lit I am in that range, just Canadian lit eludes me. I am in reading week now and have three papers to outline. I will be in at the University a number of times this week; I have to, no choice. I can’t procrastinate. The papers are all due in the same week. I see that the biggest problem I have is I like to fart around. On Facebook, constantly checking my emails, sending emails making a cuppa tea...if I would just focus, I would be so much more productive. BUT there are so many things that are so interesting going on around me, so many interesting people to talk to. I am loving that people at school know where to find me and come and chat, if I have to work I hide in the library. In my British Literatures class, there are six people who like to sit near me and one girl said right out to the Prof one day...”Oh Sharon is the Mom of Brit Lit II. She knows who is coming in and who is not and will send her notes without being asked.”I just about died laughing. When I am not feeling well I come in, they know, and I get so many hugs. I didn’t quite expect to be a mother to more, and university students at that, but hey why not!

Photobucket

As for my kids, they are doing great, mostly. Miranda is still the A student and back for her 2nd year at Concordia, and dosen't come home as much as last year, but she has a life there and I accpet that, but when she needs something she does call or comes home. Nathan is doing better in school, but is going to be ten this year, I am getting the back talk now. SIGH...I want it to be over. I know it gets worse before it gets better. Sometimes I wish I could go back to when life was simple with them, but I am enjoying them for who they are. They are GREAT KIDS!

Canadian Lit is my favourite class this year. Although I am still trying to break the A range in that class, the Professor is an amazing woman and I adore her. She is going to make the writer I want to be or at least aid me in that direction. I am going every step of the way with this last paper to make sure I get an A. Any A will do. She is also writing a book besides teaching and expecting her third child in April...she is one busy lady!

My favourite Prof and I still have our coffee and book chats ever now and then. We are both busy, we squeeze them in when we can, but that relationship has changed slightly too. He is excepting his first Child in March and I have never met a man who glows with excitement of the impending birth of his first daughter! I am thrilled for him and he is going be to be a great Dad. He is more open with me now, as if he has grown up and is able to join the parenting club. I chuckle after every chat. I do not think he is going to have too much time to talk books after she is born, but we shall see. He says he will, but we all know, those who have had children, what that is like in the first little while, till we find a rhythm.

As for me on a personal level, I am not sure how I am. There are days I am happy and there are many days when I am not and not happy with everything that goes on around me. I am sure it is all hormonal and peri menopause! I am happy when I am at school or working on that stuff, but there are other aspects of my life need working on. When I am alone I think way too much, and anaylze myself to much. I realize now there are many things I have not dealt with from my past. I wish I had done things differently, and I know that I cannot change these things; they have made me who I am today. But I am changing and trying to take control of my life at the moment, and head it in a direction where I am not settling and putting myself 2nd. Although I still feel I am mostly, that I compromise more than others in this house. It is an ongoing process, and I see that most of my friends are struggling with similar issues. In that I am not alone; which leads me to this conversation I had last week...

I met a woman named Pam. She was looking for a place to sit and eat before she did a presentation in her class, and asked if she could join me. This is a woman about my age or a little older. If you had seen her on the street, many of us would have not thought she was in University, BUT here she is in school doing her Masters in Gender Issues. She asked me what I was doing in school, and why I choose to come back. I asked her the same questions, hence the Gender Issues. I asked her what class her presentation was in she looked at me and started to study my Face, I have had this happen before but never to this extent she says “Queer Studies” Then after she took her eyes away from my face she smiled. I wasn’t quite sure what had just happened, but apparently I passed. Then she started to talk quite openly with me about many things, of which I won’t go into, but as she asked me questions and after I answered she would reply “I hate you” jokingly. At one point she says “You have you head on straight, your pretty smart (to which I laughed and said OH I don’t think so) and you are taking your time and getting good marks, and now living for yourself, not that being a mother was not, it is just now you are focused on inner self. She says she was in a hurry to get her degree and get through her training to be a therapist for young teens who need help in dealing with their sexuality to which I replied YOU GO GIRL!

As she was about the leave she stops and turns back to me, and I looked up at her and she says, Sharon, you are an amazing woman, when I said Queer Studies all you did was look at me as if I had said English or Poly Science. You did not even bat an eye. I must have looked confused. She says you know how many people look away when I say that, do you know how many people attitudes change when I say what I am doing and why I am studying what I am studying? You my dear are an enlightened woman, I thank you for the talk, and showing me that there are smart people out there who just accept the world as it is and DO NOT JUDGE. You didn’t even judge me on my appearance which I do on purpose to make a point, albeit subtle. She says to me, you keep on studying, you keep on working toward your dreams, you will make it, and don’t let anyone tell you this is a midlife crisis you are in, after being a mom for 20 yrs, after doing everything society expects of you, you are taking the time to transition into you! This is a mid life transition, no crisis involved. Men have crisis, Women Transition. YOU GO GIRL and I HATE YOU, smiles, laughs, shakes my hand and leaves, saying I hope to chat with you again...I do too...It made me think...

Midlife Transition – Yes that is me, totally and to the T, and this came from a woman I have never seen but happen to choose to sit with me a chat for 15 minutes. Funny how 15 minutes can change your viewpoint and makes things that seem a little muddy, clearer! This is why I love being where I am now.

I hope to update once a month from now on...I marking it on the calendar!

Oh it felt good to be back!
Have a good one and take care, and take a moment for yourself. You deserve it!

2 comments:

twinmomplusone said...

GREAT post!

You, my dear, are inspirational.
Look how far you've come: from a vague dream of going back to school and actually doing it! AND doing it well at that too!! And tath's a big part of university life: teh people you meet, the convos you ahve taht make you think and reshape who you are.

YOU GO GIRL!! I'm SOOO proud of you.


AND love the term Transition as opposed to crisis.

AND LOVE taht pic of your kids hugging, gave me tons of warm fuzzies.

Take care my friend xoxox

Sharon said...

Thanks...You give me the support I need when I need it. YOU are a great friend...glad you seen this..
Huge Hugs
Sharon