About Me

My photo
I am a MATURE student in life and University. I am a mom to a 21 year old Daughter(How did that happen?) and university student. Mom to a busy 10-year-old boy. Wife of Jack-of-all trades for 29 years. Sister and friend to many. Sharon just lucky I guess.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Welcome to my new and improved Blog.


I decided it was time for a change!

I write this Blog for me, no one else, just me. It is a way to think outloud, and to share my experiences with the world. Maybe some will be interested and some will not, and who knows, I might figure something out myself. I will talk about whatever comes to my mind, and sometimes it is hard for me to do, but I will do it anyway.

I enjoy photography so you will see a lot of my work. I love to read and you will see quotes from my favorite authors. Generally follow my life as try to obtain my undergrad in Art History and English at Carleton University.

Please read, enjoy and comment, open disscussion is welcome.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer For ME!

Sorry it took so long to update, but life is never simple, boring, but always crazy!

Summer for me!

Have a Martini or two with me!

Photobucket

(don’t you love my new martini glasses!)

It is finally summer vacation for me! I have never been so glad to see it since I started back on this University thing.

First things first!

I did not do as well as I would like in German. Let’s say I passed, but way below my standards. TOO fast, to learn a language I knew nothing about, and others in the class did! I am wondering if next year I will take anything in May/June. Just start my summer and read everything I want, with some direction of course, well I say that now but I may just have to take that course that looks interesting!

Photobucket

Nathan finished the school year not so great. What blew me away was not a word from the school or the teacher. Not he did not fail his year, but he failed, just failed a couple of things.I am SICK and tired of a school that refuses to listen to and communicate with us! They keep telling me he is doing fine, but this is not true, not when his self-esteem was at an all time low. It more than grades, it is how he feels about his own progress. He cried when he saw his report card. This ticks a mother off. I was told over and over to have him tested for ADD. The teacher sing the same old song and dance, he must have ADD. BUT What we have learned that he is a Concrete or Tactile learner so he needs to see or touch things to understand. This shows me why he can sit for hours and build Lego. He is disorganized when he has no clue how to start. Visual Learners need to watch the teacher to learn, see the face and hear the words. Auditory learners need to hear first and can understand in this way. Tactile learners need to have a picture to learn. Words even if they understand them are abstract and confuse them. Now this is very simplified, but it fits my child to a T! They move more when they are frustrated, and refuse to start for fear of making a mistake and not being able to organize their thoughts.

So we went to Oxford Learning Centres...and had him tested, this is the results they came up with, with little or no information about my child. He is not ADD, he is concrete learner and in some school systems, this is marked as disorganized, and not able to write because it is abstract thought and the biggest problem with this style is being confident enough to begin. Nathan has tested at a grade 6 reading level, but he writes at below a grade level. Abstract thought. He will get high marks in subjects like geometry, graphing, anything that he can see, and do. Word problems will confuse him, too much information. Math in same area’s where it is abstract is at a grade 2 level but in others is grade 5. We now have him in tutoring 2 days a week for the summer. I have been saying all along he is a bright boy, but is falling through the cracks in the school system. Part of me thought it was maturity, boys mature slower than girls do, and the School system is not developed for boys, and especially my boy!But we hope by the end of the summer his self- esteem will be much better and able to accept that he is allowed to make mistakes. It is all I want. Confidence to try, and try different methods to learn!

Summer reading

I am now into full swing of my summer reading. Re read the Sound and the Fury, and found so many things I missed the first 3 times! Faulkner seems to stand the test of time, and is so worth reading. I also just started reading Absalom, Absalom! I love it so far. I will give details when I am finished.

I should mention that my Friend Allen had to drop German and was quite sick, and is still not recovered completely. I asked one of my Favourite Prof’s, if he had some books that I could suggest to him to read. He did. He has never led me astray in my reading to date, and he certainly did not this time. Thanks Marc!

He suggested we read (I had to read them to so Allen and I could talk about them) There Eye’s Were Watching God, By Zora Neale Hurston and Death Comes for the Archbishop, by Willa Cather. Both were great, but Ms. Hurston’s book was outstanding! Give it a read...it has made my top 10 list and I know I will read this over and over again. Ms. Hurston shows the coming of age of a Black woman and her relationships through her life. But leaving that aside, it stands on its own as a Feminist text. It talks about the simple human condition, how jealously arises when others do not understand the other person. The text is written and flows in out and the narrator and the main Character Janie! Beautiful words... here is what grabbed me when I read this...

“Ships at a distance have everyman’s wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, and never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men.

Now, women forget all those things they don’t want to remember, and remember everything they don’t want to forget. The dream is the truth. They act and do things accordingly” (2)

I was hooked in the first paragraph and it never disappointed!

Now IF I had read Death Comes for the Archbishop first. I am sure I would have loved it, but after reading the above, it sort of got lost in the memory of the other book, although it is worth the time to read it too. Episodic in nature and uses what I thought was a peculiar in that it uses some of the medieval devices to makes it’s point. Vanity, Gluttony, lust, Greed, and the names mostly mean the virtue of the characters. It was good. Made me smile, although not the same impact.

Well I should stop... I have written a novel myself.

Hurston, Zora Neale, "Their Eyes Were Watching God" New York. Harper Collins. 2006. Print.



2 comments:

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

Sorry to read about the frustration with your son's school. We had similar communication issues with my daughter's school. It took nearly a year of working through the bureaucracy to get her some occupational therapy at the school. She isn't ADD but has some issues with fine motor skills in regards to hand writing.
We enrolled our daughter at an OT writing camp this summer which seemed to help.

Don't give up on being persistent with your school or whatever other choices you might have.